Volunteer with us
Volunteers play a vital role within First4Adoption by answering calls and emails on our Information Line.
You may have personal experience of adoption, ideally through adopting a child, or you may have worked in adoption and wish to keep your knowledge up-to-date. If you live within reasonable travel distance of our London office, and can offer a regular one day per week minimum 4-hour shift between 10am-6pm Monday-Friday, you may wish to apply as an information line volunteer adviser.
We’d love to hear from you if you can volunteer in the afternoons and school holidays times, as well as if you have school age children.
Information Line Volunteer
Volunteer advisers respond to telephone calls and written enquiries (email) from a wide range of people enquiring about adoption, including:
- potential adopters interested in adopting a child in England.
- prospective adopters with questions at any stage of the adoption assessment process
- approved adopters with questions about family finding, matching or introductions
- adoptive parents enquiring about post-adoption adoption support
If you have a warm and empathetic telephone manner combined with a good standard of spoken and written English, and data input skills, we are happy to provide you with training and support to be on the ‘front line’ of our information service. You will need excellent listening and communication skills, and ability to build rapport with callers from diverse backgrounds.
- comprehensive initial induction and training
- further training opportunities and support on a regular basis
- payment of travel and lunch expenses
- free entry to the Foundling Museum
- opportunities to contribute to the development of First4Adoption’s services
Information line volunteers advisers may also contribute to our service in other ways, such as reviewing information or writing blogs.
How to apply
If you are interested in volunteering, please call 0300 222 0022 and ask to speak with Gemma Gordon-Johnson, or email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for a volunteer adviser application pack.